When you hear the worlds "Tossed Salad"... what is the first thing that comes to mind? Lettuce, tomatoes, hard croutons and ranch dressing? We seem to get in BIG ruts when it comes to salads. When ever we have a family meal, I am always asked to bring a tossed salad and I love to get creative. I will throw in anything... veggies, fruits, nuts, cheeses, breads... OH, that just gave me the idea to dedicate one month to salads. Watch for that in late spring/early summer!
Back to the holidays! A fresh salad is always a simple addition to any meal, but here are two wonderful recipes that will had holiday color to your meal! The first one takes a little longer, only in that you have to roast the beets ahead of time. It is still a VERY simple and easy recipe.
(Note: As always, Green text are Olivelle recipes that I will share. Green text within a recipe are ingredients that can be purchased from Olivelle locally or on the website http://www.olivelle.com/ )
(My apologies for the quality of the pictures. I should have used better background colors to bring out the beautiful colors of the salads.)
Roasted Beet, Mango-Ginger Stilton and Spinach Salad
(Chef Claudia Krevat)
4 Medium Beets ~ Washed, Leave Root attached, Trim Greens to 1"
1. Pre-heat Oven to 400 Degrees
2. Rub Beets with Spanish EVOO. Wrap with parchment lined foil, place on baking sheet and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour until tender.
3. Cool in foil pack, cut off the root and greens (throw root and greens away). The peels should slip off fairly easily with your fingers.
4. Dice Beets.
5. Whisk together the Miscuglio Italian Dried Herb Blend, Sicilian Lemon Olive Oil, Cucumber Vinegar, Sel Gris and Fresh Ground Pepper
6. Toss Dressing into Spinach and top with Beets and Cheese.
~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~
Spinach and Strawberry Salad
(Chef Claudia Krevat)
4 Cups Baby Spinach
1 English Cucumber ~ Diced
1/3 Cup Pecans
1 Pint Strawberries ~ Hulled and Quartered
1/4 Cup Blood Orange Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Vanilla Pomegranate Vinegar
1 tsp Raspberry Honey Creme
1 tsp Vanilla Bean Sea Salt
1. Whisk together the Blood Orange Olive Oil, Vanilla Pomegranate Vinegar, Raspberry Honey Creme and Vanilla Bean Sea Salt
2. Toss all ingredients left with dressing
Add some summer freshness to your Christmas or New Year table!